Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Becoming A Mom.



Becoming A Mom.

What an amazing week/month it truly has been.  I have been blessed beyond my dreams.  My little man was born on July 15th and I am in awe of his features, his love, his little smiles and smirks, the miracle of his birth, and the recovery of my body. Each day I got better and better.

Well I should start by telling the tale of his birthday.  I went to the doc appointment at 9:00am that morning. As I was walking in they called and asked to reschedule for noon.  I accepted, went home and started moving.  I did stairs, danced, and then more stairs.  At 11:00am I felt clear fluid flow in small amounts and knew it could be my water.   I waited it out till my doctor’s appointment and sure enough my water bag had ruptured, the doctor said I was going to be admitted and that he would finish breaking the rest of the water bag in 1 hour.  I screamed with joy, hugged him, and then went into tears.  The wheel chair came to wheel me down to the labor room and I was laughing, smiling, and full of excitement.  People that saw me, said you are the happiest person in labor we have ever seen.  I was not contracting yet and that was truly the reason. 

I called Doug, my husband, at work and told him I was being admitted.  He went home to pick up my already packed bags. Before long, Doctor Reinardy broke my water bag, and then came the contractions.  Two hours later I called for the “oh so needed” epidural and then Doug and I waited and watched TV as I experienced no pain and relaxation.  I continued to dilate and at 6:30ish I progressed to 10 cm.  I started pushing with all my might. He very slowly was making his way out into the world. At 9:00 I couldn’t imagine pushing for too much longer. I looked at the Doctor and asked if he had any suggestions. He said we could suction him out.  I looked at the Doctor, then the nurse, and then Doug and asked them for their opinions. Everyone was quiet and the Doctor said you’re the boss.  I pushed two more times, and then said with authority, “Get the suction.”  At that point they literally broke down the bed and got ready for delivery.  Two long and hard pushes later there he was. 

I couldn’t believe my eyes.  You were so big.  The doctor, the nurse, your father, and I couldn’t believe our eyes. You were so big and beautiful.  I was kind of in a shock.  I was so excited, I did it.  I brought you into the world. I would have done anything for you.  I will do anything for you.  I felt so blessed to have you.  I was so amazed by everything.  What my body was capable of doing.  How amazing you were.  How you had lived in me for 9 months and now you were out living on your own. The blessings came in by the thousands that night. You had all your fingers and toes. You were so precious and hold-able!

The moment that I remember the most, besides the pains of labor, were when you were strolled into our room at 4:00am for your first real feeding. I saw you, and I thought that’s my baby.  He is so beautiful.  He is perfect.  He is a miracle.  That moment I will cherish.  Your eyes wide open, your skin so soft, you were looking at me.  I felt so alive.  I felt as if I was right where I was supposed to be.

Love always,
Your Mom - Liz Bladorn

No comments:

Post a Comment