Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Brother - US Army Hero


(The images below are from my experience in Iraq in 2005.)


soldiers in Iraq


con-exes in Iraq


murals in Iraq

football in Iraq

football in Iraq


gas station on base in Iraq


Helicopter overhead


black hawk about to land on base














some part of the base



water in iraq
(The images above are from my experience in Iraq in 2005.)


I dedicate this post to the soldiers before me, those now, and to all soldiers and people who put themselves in harm’s way.  To my parents, and this is especially for my brother.

After I got back from Iraq in 2006, as I remember, I use to ask myself why, why didn't I have to go into combat?  Why were my experiences so different than most? How was I so lucky to live?

These questions seemed to haunt me for about a year or so when I was at my weakest mentally, which seemed often.  I separated myself from others, looking to give myself a name, make my story big so there was a reason for my existence.  

Now it has been over 4 years, and I am hearing the stories of soldiers who experienced so much hardship, death, and suffering.  My eyes well up with tears thinking of these men and women who are trying to understand what they experienced.  I feel upset that I didn't experience such thing, for a moment.  But then I feel so blessed for my experiences.  I feel honored to have served.

My brother served in Iraq and continue to serve the U.S. Army, he is so strong.   A man who experienced loss, trauma, and a war he didn't know existed.  His story is one of death and life. He lives, his comrade dies, repeats itself in a lot of soldiers.  The questions arise and we are left standing here with how to comfort and support things that we have no idea about.

Hearing his stories didn't come forward for about 2 years after the experiences had taken place.  We listened to him, we cried with him, we stood by him, and we loved him.

His experiences were very traumatic, leaving him with the questions why not me?  Why this guy?  Why? Why? Why? Why?

Today he takes the military very personal; it is his way of life. He is really good at it.  We continue to support him in all he does.

So he will leave for Afghanistan in January and I know one thing to be true.

We can listen.  We can pray and I can tell him that he is loved.  Listening will always be the key.  Not trying to understand, just being there for him, with so much love.

Camaraderie is not in most jobs, but I experienced it in the military.  It is what hurts so bad when we lose someone, but it is such a blessing when we need someone as well. I know my brother will be surrounded by many comrades.

So as I write this, I want to thank everyone who has served, who is serving, or who will serve.

Thank you,
Liz Bladorn


No comments:

Post a Comment