Friday, February 1, 2013

Don't Give Up # 3


My mom with the sign along with Jessy, Crista, and baby Miles.

Surrounded by my biggest supporters.  What a beautiful day.

My parents are so amazing.
My husband has stood by me throughout the years.  He was so excited.  He decorated the house, brought me flowers, a pin, and a massage.  I adore him.

The sign and me.  
I started the different “Don’t Give Up” projects about a year ago ( I think there are 2 on my blog).  As I was creating the sign and taking the pictures I was getting my bachelor’s degree at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.  At various times throughout my college experience I wanted to give up.  It was overwhelming.  I was going to college with students 8 to 10 years younger than me, continuing my relationship with my boyfriend and now husband (who I married along the way), working part time jobs, growing my relationships with my family and friends that I had established, and learning how to write reports and papers all over again.  At the point when I was making the sign I realized I had my own “Don’t Give Up” project and it would be to complete what I had started, college. 

The biggest reason I went back.  When I graduated high school I joined the Army Reserves.  The reason was - to pay for college.  I completed my associates degree and then was called overseas.  Two months prior to me leaving I engaged myself in conversation with any veteran that I could find.   During our conversations I would ask if they had any regrets about the army, their tour overseas or coming home.  The one thing that always stood out was they wished they would have used the money from the government to go to school.  So at the time I never thought I would go back for my bachelor’s degree.   Now here I am 8 years later, and I completed it.  I didn't give up.  No regrets.

My graduation day was very special to me.  I had the large white cardboard sign at the ceremony and when I crossed the stage and walked back to my seat my mom was holding it high in the air for everyone to see.  I was so proud of myself. 

The guest speaker on that special day was unique.  He was a 40 year old man who just completed his bachelor’s degree.  He gave the most beautiful “Thank you” to his wife for standing by his side and allowing him to complete something he started 20 years ago.  He spoke of how it is never too late and his speech embodied a person who “Never gave up.” 

So I love to be inspired I hope this inspires you.  It is never too late to start something.  Did you hear about the 60 year old school teacher? She always wanted to teach and received her degree at 82 years old.  She is still teaching at 99.  That is 17 years she has been able to live here dream.  View her story here. So I ask you, what is your “Don’t Give Up” project?

No comments:

Post a Comment